Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Remembering Nurse Kade

There was a excellent report recently in Thai Intelligence News about Phayao Akkahad being invited to testify to the UK Human Rights Unit.

Phayao is the mother of Kamolked Akkahad, the medic who was shot and killed by the Thai military at Wat Pathumwanaram refuge on May 21. The tent where Kamolked worked, clearly had Red Cross markings on it and many of the medics working there, including Kamolked, clearly were wearing Red Cross symbols.

Phayao Akkahad Wants Justice for her Daughter  

Thanks to this report I am reminded of Kamolkade’s beautifully written obituary by Prachatai, an independent Thai news organization whose website is banned in Thailand.  Prachatai’s websites are censored there because they prefer to report the truth and not just pass on Thai regime propaganda. The junta running the government now would like everyone to believe that all the Red Shirts killed were terrorists. The following is the short short account of the life, death and funeral of Kamolkade Akkahad from Prachatai.  See if you think Kamolkade was a terrorist.

Kamolkade Akkahad

Kamolkade Akkahad was 25 when she was shot dead inside Pathumwanaram Temple on 19 May. She was called Kade by her friends, but was Moo (pig) to her family members, as she ate a lot and was plump, according to her mother.

Kade was born into a poor family. Her mother used to sell khao kaeng (rice with toppings), and then turned to selling flowers and garlands in the market. Her father works for an electricity utility. She had a warm family, with two younger brothers, 21 and 18, to whom she was very close.

Her mother and brothers characterized her as outspoken and sharp-tongued, yet good-humoured, and she was loved by others and had many friends. She was popular at the market when she went to help her mother there.

Kade was always stubborn, from her childhood until her last minute. In junior high school, she often skipped class to join friends who were volunteers with the Po Tek Tung Foundation. They went to help the injured and the dead. Her mother said Kade never feared anything, and liked this kind of challenging work, helping people. She could not stop her daughter, and could only let her go, like this time with the red shirts.

She went to commercial college for a while, and then quit to study in the non-formal education system instead. She went on to get paramedic training and apprenticed at hospital accident and forensic departments. After training, she worked in the accident and emergency department of a hospital.

She worked there for a few years until the hospital was shut down. She helped her mother at the market and got a temporary job with a relative. During the red shirt protests, she initially went as a volunteer after work, and then left her job completely. She told her mother that there were many elderly and children, and many got sick. Although there were many volunteers, there were not enough.

Kade aspired to take the exam to be a nursing aide in the army, and vowed to her mother ‘if I pass the exam, I will go down South,’ to the southern border provinces. Her mother knew too well to oppose her, but could only suggest that she take the exam next year as she was not likely to reduce her weight in time for this year.

When she was serving full time for the protesters, she hardly ever took phone calls from her family for fear of being ordered home. On the day she died, she took a call from her mother a few hours before she was shot. It was the last time that her mother heard her voice while she was attending the injured. She was hit while wearing a paramedic’s uniform. Doctors said she was hit twice, and her brain was damaged by the bullets. Her friends who received her body suspected that she had been hit more than twice.

Her brother said that when they heard the bad news her family members were all in tears. Her mother finally controlled herself, and started arranging things for the last time for her daughter, while her father still could not eat. Her youngest brother watched old video clips of the family, crying all night.

The initial plan to keep the body for 100 days before cremation, according to Thai tradition, was scrapped, so that her family members, her father in particular, could recover from their grief.

A lot of people attended the funeral. The cremation took place at Pak Bung temple, Rom Klao, Minburi, Bangkok, on 26 May.

I am reluctant to directly show the horrific and gruesome pictures of Kamolkade and the other victims of the Wat Pathum massacre here but I have included a link below to a picasa photo album. 

And, please, don’t just remember ‘Kade’ lying on the ground at Wat Pathum. Remember her this way instead.  

Kamolkade Akkahad

Warning the link below contains graphic pictures of the victims at Wat Pathum: 

Below is the original obituary in Thai from Prachatai.
‘กมนเกด อัคฮาด’: เบื้องหน้าความตาย เบื้องหลังชีวิต พยาบาลอาสาในวัดปทุมฯ
Wed, 2010-05-26 02:53 Prachatai
กมนเกด อัคฮาด ดำเนินชีวิตมาได้ 25 ปีกับอีก 1 เดือน ชื่อเล่นที่เพื่อนๆ เรียกคือเกด แต่สำหรับครอบครัวแล้วเรียกว่า “หมู” เธอมีรูปร่างอ้วนท้วมสมบูรณ์ แม่ของเธอบอกว่าสาเหตุหลักมาจากการกินแหลกนั่นเอง
เกดเกิดในครอบครัวที่พ่อแม่ทำงานปากกัดตีนถีบ แม่ขายข้าวแกง ก่อนจะมาขายดอกไม้ พวงมาลัย ในตลาดใกล้บ้าน พ่อเป็นลูกจ้างอยู่ที่การไฟฟ้าแห่งหนึ่ง แต่ครอบครัวของเธออบอุ่น เกดและน้องชายอีก 2 คน คนหนึ่งอายุ 18 ปี อีกคนหนึ่งอายุ 21 ปี สนิทกันมาก วิ่งไล่แกล้งกันตั้งแต่เล็กจนโต และจนกระทั่งปัจจุบัน
น้องๆ และแม่เล่าว่า เกดเป็นคนโวยวาย โผงผาง อารมณ์ดี ปากร้าย พูดจาตรงๆ แต่ใครๆ ก็รัก เพื่อนเพียบ สมัยช่วยแม่ขายของที่ตลาดใครก็รู้จักเกดกันทั้งบาง วันไหนไม่ไป น้องๆ นุ่งๆ แถวนั้นเป็นอันหมดสนุก น้องชายของเกดบอกว่า เสียงหัวเราะของเธอได้ยินไกลลั่นทุ่ง ไม่ต้องเห็นตัวก็รู้ว่าเกดมาแล้ว
อันที่จริงแม้ใครไม่เคยได้เห็นเกดตอนมีชีวิต ถ้าได้คุยกับแม่ของเกดก็พอเดาได้ว่าอารมณ์ลุยๆ ห้าวๆ นั้นเธอได้มาจากใคร ก็โบราณเขาว่าดูนางให้ดูแม่ ในขณะที่พ่อเป็นคนค่อนข้างเงียบ เรียบร้อย และดูใจเย็น
เกดเป็นคนดื้อ ดื้อมาตั้งแต่เด็กจนกระทั่งนาทีสุดท้ายของชีวิต สมัยเรียนมัธยม เกดมักโดดเรียนเป็นประจำเพื่อหนีไปกับเพื่อน เพื่อนก๊วนเกดเป็นอาสาสมัครปอเต๊กตึ๊ง และมักชวนกันออกตระเวนช่วยเหลือคนเจ็บคนตายด้วยกันเสมอ แม่ยืนยันเกดไม่เคยกลัวอะไร และชอบงานท้าทายที่ได้ช่วยชีวิตคนแบบนี้มาก ห้ามไม่ได้ก็เลยปล่อย เช่นเดียวกับการอาสาไปดูแลคนเสื้อแดงคราวนี้
จบจากมัธยม เรียนพาณิชย์ได้ไม่เท่าไรก็ต้องลาออกมาเรียน กศน. จากนั้นจึงไปเรียนต่อศึกษาบริบาล ระหว่างเรียนก็ฝึกงานตามโรงพยาบาล ทั้งแผนกอุบัติเหตุ จนถึงนิติเวช ก่อนจะออกมาประจำอยู่ที่โรงพยาบาลการุณพิทักษ์แผนกอุบัติเหตุ แม่บอกว่าเกดมีทักษะด้านนี้ บางทีนักเรียนแพทย์ผ่าเส้นเอ็นอะไรไม่เป็นก็มาให้เกดช่วยสอน หรือแผนกแต่งศพไม่มีคนก็มาเรียกเกดเพราะเธอทำได้ทุกอย่าง
แม่เล่าว่า ครั้งหนึ่งในแผนกอุบัติเหตุที่โรงพยาบาลแห่งหนึ่ง มีคนงานถูกเครื่องจักรบดนิ้ว หมอบอกว่าอาจต้องตัดนิ้วทิ้งสามสี่นิ้ว แต่เกดเห็นแล้วหวังว่ายังพอต่อได้ และคนงานไม่มีนิ้วก็เท่ากับแทบไม่เหลือโอกาสทำมาหากิน เกดจึงบอกให้คนไข้คนนั้นอดทนหน่อยเพื่อรอหมอมือฉมังที่สุดที่กำลังมาสับเวร กระทั่งหมอมาและตัดสินใจผ่าตัด ดาม ต่อให้อย่างเต็มที่ ไม่ต้องเสียนิ้ว
ทำอยู่สองสามปีจนโรงพยาบาลปิดตัวลง เกดจึงได้ออกมาช่วยแม่ค้าขาย กระทั่งได้ทำงานชั่วคราวกับญาติก่อนที่จะโดดงานอีกครั้งเพื่อไปเป็นอาสาสมัครในที่ชุมนุมกลุ่มเสื้อแดง แรกๆ ก็ไปหลังเลิกงาน แต่ช่วงหลังดูเหมือนเธอไปอย่างเต็มตัว และทิ้งที่บ้านไว้เบื้องหลัง เกดบอกแม่ว่าประชาชนมีคนเฒ่าคนแก่และเด็กเยอะ อยู่กันยาวๆ มีเจ็บป่วยกันแยะ แม้มีอาสาสมัครหลายคนที่มาช่วยแต่ก็ยังไม่ได้สัดส่วนกับผู้ชุมนุม
ความใฝ่ฝันของเกดต้องการไปสอบเป็นผู้ช่วยพยาบาลในกองทัพบก และประกาศเจตนาแน่วแน่กับแม่ว่า “ถ้าสอบได้ หนูจะลงใต้”  แม่รู้ดีว่ายากจะห้ามปราม แต่ก็ได้ทักท้วงให้สอบปีหน้า เพราะปีนี้คาดว่าคงลดน้ำหนักไม่ทัน  
หลังจากไปร่วมกับอาสาสมัครอื่นๆ คอยปฐมพยาบาลกลุ่มผู้ชุมนุมอย่างเต็มตัว เกดก็ไม่ค่อยรับโทรศัพท์ที่บ้านเพราะกลัวโดนตามตัวกลับ กระทั่งวันที่เธอเสียชีวิต เธอรับโทรศัพท์แม่ก่อนเสียชีวิตไม่กี่ชั่วโมง มันเป็นเสียงสุดท้ายที่ผู้เป็นแม่ได้ยินขณะทำหน้าที่ช่วยเหลือผู้บาดเจ็บคนอื่นๆ  เธอถูกยิงขณะทำหน้าที่นั้น ในชุดคลุมสัญลักษณ์หน่วยแพทย์ หมอบอกเพียงว่า เธอโดนยิง 2 นัดกระสุนทำลายสมอง ขณะที่เพื่อนๆ ที่ไปรับศพเธอคาดว่ามีมากกว่าสองนัด
น้องชายคนกลางเล่าว่า หลังรู้ข่าวบ้านทั้งบ้านมีแต่เสียงร้องไห้ระงม ไม่มีใครได้สติ กระทั่งแม่เริ่มยอมรับสภาพได้ และเริ่มต้นจัดแจงทุกสิ่งทุกอย่างเป็นครั้งสุดท้ายเพื่อลูกสาว ขณะที่พ่อยังคงไม่กินข้าวกินปลา น้องชายคนเล็กดูคลิปครอบครัวเก่าๆ แล้วร้องไห้ทั้งคืน
ความตั้งใจที่แต่เดิมจะเก็บไว้ร้อยวันเป็นอันยุติลงเนื่องจากต้องการให้คนที่บ้าน โดยเฉพาะผู้เป็นพ่อพ้นจากความโศกเศร้าตรอมใจ
งานสวดอภิธรรมมีคนที่รู้ข่าวปากต่อปากหลั่งไหลมากันแน่นศาลา ส่วนงานฌาปนกิจศพของเกดจะมีขึ้นในวันนี้ (May 26) เวลา 17.00 น. ที่วัดปากบึง ร่มเกล้า  

No comments:

Post a Comment